photo ALittleSouthernGraceNAV-home.png photo ALittleSouthernGraceNAV-about.png photo ALittleSouthernGraceNAV-lovestory.png photo ALittleSouthernGraceNAV-intentional.png photo ALittleSouthernGraceNAV-devotional.png photo ALittleSouthernGraceNAV-bucketlist.png photo ALittleSouthernGraceNAV-Contact.png

Saturday, April 19, 2014

31 days of happiness - day 4

Day 4

This hitch I'm working nights, so my shift is from about 4 PM to 8 AM. So having switched over in the middle of my hitch this time, I've been struggling to catch up on sleep out here. Not to mention, being on a drilling rig all hours of the day people are calling out mud weights, units of gas, viscosities, depths, ect. out over the gai-tronics which makes it even tougher to get a solid nights (days) sleep. However, the other day I had crashed at about 8:30 AM and was all snuggled in my twin bunk. I wake up to the sound of this awful alarm & being waaaay out of it I'm thinking this has got to be a dream when all of a sudden I realize...it's the real thing! The fire alarm is going off! So I jump out of bed, slip on my boots (pink steel toe boots & sleep shorts is a nice look just in case you're wondering!) and run down to the life boats. We load the boats and wait for the word of whether or not to launch...at this point all we know is that the fire alarm has gone off in the motor room but the fire team has not been able to identify the source. Yikes yikes yikes. Luckily this isn't my first rodeo and I have had a surprise alarm in the middle of operations before but at least those times I was awake! 

All ended up being fine & they identified it was a false alarm, and while I complained that my beauty rest was interrupted the more I thought the more I realized that this is a blessing! It's a blessing that all of the systems we have in place out here to make sure we all stay safe work and that every single day God has his loving hands around our rig while we work. So today I was happy to be woken up in the middle of my sleep because although this time it wasn't the real deal...next time it could be and it just goes to show - we are ready!

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to take one of the lifeboats down for a launch & make sure everything was working/running properly. All the cool kids with our production team said "We get outside the boat and ride...you're more than welcome if you can hold on!" So naturally...challenge accepted! Makes you feel pretty small in this world when you're in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico in 2400' of water, no land in sight and the only thing you're holding onto is a small orange lifeboat. 

The rig/spar I work on in the background
Holding on tight!

Daily happiness tip # 4: Find joy in the ordinary.  What an amazing feeling it is to be IN a moment. To truly be there. To not be worried about what's going on around you or what other people are doing, or thinking. To be so engulfed in a moment that you just look around and say "Wow, am I really right here right now?? Am I really doing this?" But not in a scary way...in an amazing, joyful way. Being out there was a moment like that for me. I'm looking around realizing how HUGE this amazing ocean that God gave us is, and exactly how small I am. Incredibly humbling. 

Isaiah 41:10 - "Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand."

xoxo
Amanda 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio